Followers

Saturday 5 March 2016

The War of 1812, No, The Other One!

While searching for some figures I had recently misplaced I came across a couple of boxes of unpainted lead.

The first box was full of bags and bags and bags of figures. A closer inspection revealed them to be Napoleonic Russians suitable for 1812, Napoleons Russian Folly.

One bag contained 14 figures, an officer, an ensign, a drummer and 11 rank and file.


I wonder what ruleset I had in mind when I bought these?

The figures are quite chunky and 15mm from foot to eye.


There were 13 bags labelled 'Musketeer' and 4 bags labelled 'Grenadier'. Apart from a few different officer poses these bags were all identical, i.e. the rank and file figures were the same.


I'll need to check my painting sources but it may be that it only needs a suitable paintjob to differentiate a Grenadier from a Musketeer in 15mm in this period.

The only manufacturer I can think that they may be is Tabletop Miniatures, long since defunct. Does anyone recognise the figure code on the base? It appears to say PN 10.


The rest of the box contents included a bag of Pavlov Grenadiers, a couple of big bags of cavalry, some line foot artillery and some line horse artillery.

These figures will be up for grabs later this year although I am tempted to paint them up and use them for something like upsized Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargames, or maybe the old WRG set or maybe even Black Powder.

The second box remains untouched athough I expect that it will contain a French army suitable for 1812.





13 comments:

  1. Don't think they are tabletop because of the cast on flags. Could be Navwar or Warrior perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Tabletop was indeed correct.

    It seems that the figure range, perhaps now remastered, is available from:

    http://www.15mm.co.uk/products/r105-russian-grenadier-advancing

    and also:

    http://www.battleline-miniatures.co.nz/detail.asp?ProductCriterion=15mmlinkNapoleonics&SubProductCriterion=Russians&quicksearch=&NAV=1&ItemNumber=27236

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found the source but I am still not sure about the cast on flag. Perhaps tabletop redesigned the figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the other information I have found does suggest that the range was remastered at some point in the past.

      As long as I can get figures that reasonably match the style I will be happy.

      Delete
  4. Jim - They are by Jacobite - I painted 100's of them back in the 1980's - it left me scarred for life - all that green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sure are you Jonathan?

      I don't recall dealing with Jacobite but I do recall Tabletop.

      I think I have enough Russians to make a decent force out of them even if I have to buy a few rank and file to make up the numbers.

      Then I have a box of French to look at, I think there are a lot of Minifigs in there and possibly some more Tabletop/Jacobite bags.

      Delete
    2. 100% - the rather plain rectangular bases are the giveaway - Tabletops were rounded off & textured.
      I've had both. The Jacobite were quite chunky in their day but were a joy to paint - until you'd done 600+ that is!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jim
    Re Elite Wargames and Models
    Richard hopes to make a start on a web site before Salute and then add to it over the year. He will be taken the figures to Salute and Warfare shows this year.
    Glyn
    Glyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply Glyn, good news.

      I'll probably need to use mail order as I don't get far south on my wargame trips. York is the furthest south that I get unless you include Crisis in Antwerp.

      Good luck with the website.

      Delete